Innovation, Strategy and Technology
I am founder and director of the Magic Lab at UTS, Australia's leading group in social robotics, and we work with the leading social robotics groups internationally.
Australia lags in university-industry partnerships and engagement. I have a strong track record in working with industry and startups on sharing knowledge, know-how and establishing collaborative projects. I also inspire and connect my team to exciting opportunities.
I established and lead the team that developed an exciting and innovative data analytics research program into CBA. We delivered exceptional customised training to more than 5000 bank employees over 2 years. Building on this high level of engagement I developed the CBA-UTS Social Robotics Partnership with Williams Judge, head of Social Robotics at CBA.
My work has been adopted by numerous industry partners and researchers alike. IBM has been a strong supporter through an ARC Linkage Project and seven IBM PhD Fellowships for talented students.
I led the effort to bring UTS into the US-based startup Willow Garage and the Personal Robot 2 Community with Stanford University, MIT, Cornell University, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Tokyo, Samsung, Bosch and several other leading universities.
International and National Innovation
- Australian Research Council
- ARC College of Experts: 2006 - 2008
- ARC Consultant: 2009
- Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA): 2011 - 2013.
- Federal Government
- Business Missions: USA
- Advice: Innovation, technology and entrepreneurship
- Reports: Advanced technologies
- Academy of Science: Robotics and AI Report, Invited Talk
- Academy of Technology, Science and Engineering: Reports and Invited Talks
- Sydney Science Week Festival
- China Science Week
- US National Robotics Week
International and National Research Community Leadership
- Scientific Foundation KR Inc: President 2006 - 2008; Past President 2008- 2010; Non-exectutive Director since 2010. KR Inc is the peak body for knowledge representation and reasoning a critical area in AI research and computing.
- ACM Awards Committee:
- Eugene L. Lawler Award For Humanitarian Contributions Within Computer Science And Informatics from 2014. ACM is the prestigious American Computing Machinery the peak body for computing.
- Australasian AI National Awards Committee form 2015.
- Advisory Boards
- Disruptive Innovation Week, Sydney
- International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence
- Editorial Boards
- Information Systems Journal from 2014
- International Journal for Social Robotics from 2012
- Artificial Intelligence Journal, 2007 - 2017.
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, 2006 -2009.
- Major Scientifc Conference Leadership: KR, IJCAI, ICSR, AAAI Symposiums, see community engagement for more.
- Program Committees: IJCAI, AAAI, ECAI, JELIA, HRI - for more see Program Committees for more.
- Best Paper Award Committees: IJCAI, KR, Ro-MAN, International Conference on Social Robotics.
Australian Research Council Projects: : 10 x ARC Discovery Projects; 2 x ARC Linkage Projects
Other Major External Grants: EU 7th Framework; Australia China Partnership; Australia Japan Foundation;
Early Career Researcher Opportunity and Development: 8 x Postdoctoral Fellows; 4 x Chancellor Fellows; 2 x Endeavour Leadership Fellowships; 7 x IBM PhD Fellowships
Coaching Student Teams and Individuals: Presentations; Robot Soccer: led more than a dozen internationally competitive teams to International World Championships since 2002; 100,000 € Valeo Challenge: The UTS Unleashed! team were Finalist out of 1000 entries which included top universities around the world.; Enabling Work Experience School Students: Topics include robotics, software engineering, design thinking, ideation, prototyping, technology and society.
CBA, Stocklands and ATN Social Robotics Partnership Steering Committee, 2016 - 2019
Partnership Leader, CBA Social Robotics Project, 2016 - 2019
EY Data Analytics Partnership Steering Committee 2016 - 2017
Director, Disruptive Innovation, UTS 2015 - 2017 a newly created university-wide role to help inspire and energize transdisciplinary teaching, research and industry engagement.
Program Director, CBA Data Analytics Exec Training 2014 - 2016 $1.3M external income
Project Lead, EY on Disruptive Innovation 2015 - 2017.
UTS Chancellor Research Awards Selection Committee 2013 and 2016
University Workload Policy Review Committee 2010 - 2016
- Associate Dean, Research, Engineering and IT, UTS July 2010 - February 2014
- Assistant Dean, Research, Business and Law, University of Newcastle, 2002,
- Assistant Dean, Teaching and Learning, Business and Law, University of Newcastle, 2000 - 2002.
- Head, Information Systems, Business and Law, University of Newcastle, 1998 - 2000.
- Business Briefing: When Robots and Customers Meet
- Drones, Droids and Robots, Science Week Resource Book (Pages 16 ad 17) 2016
- BE Sydney Ambassador Investiture 2016
- Stockland Social Robotics Project Press Release 2016
- Wizards and Jedi's: Social Robotics 2016
- Wired for Wonder, CBA, 2016
- CBA and Magic Lab working on Social Robotics, 2016
- CBA and Magic Lab Partnership,Leading Australian Corporate-Academic Partnership Shapes Next Generation of Social Robotics Innovation, 2016
- Social Robotics SBS 2015
- Robots Podcast 2015
- Robot Revolution, Australian Academy of Scence 2015
- ATSE Fellowship Announcement 2015
- TECH23 Industry Leader 2015
- UTS Data Arena, Engineers Australia 2015
- AI Experts Call for a Ban on Killer Robots 2015
- Social Robotics at UTS, ComputerWorld
- Interview with RoboCub in SIngapore
- Magic Happens in UTS Lab
- John McCarthy visits the Magic Lab
- UTS Unleashed! wins Australian Open Robot Soccer Championships
- UTS goes to RoboCup
- more to come ...