I have supervised many talented Interns, Honours, Capstone and PhD students. Several have created their own successful startups companies. Others have received Oscars for the Animated film Happy Feet, started their own successful companies and taken up senior technical, management and leadership roles at: Apple Inc, Sunnyvale; Amazon, Seattle; Animal Logic, Sydney; Atlasssian, Sydney; Canon, Sydney; Bosch, Germany; Uber'Advanced Technology Group (Self-driving Car Project); University of Melbourne, University of Texas at Austin.UTS Students have been awarded a wide range of Fellowships, Awards and Prizes including the following since 2010:
UTS Students I supervise have been awarded a wide range of Fellowships, Awards and Prizes including the following since 2010:
- 2017 NASA Space Robotics Challenge Finalist, Samuel Pffiffer
- 2017 Start-Up Catalyst's Youth Mission, Mahya Knox
- 2016 Best Robot Design, International Conference on Social Robotics, Meg Tonkin
- 2016 Australian-French Entrepreneurship Challenge Finalist, Mayha Knox
- 2016 Project Pitch, Mayha Knox
- 2016 First Class Honours, Le Kang
- 2016 IBM PhD Fellowship, Mahya Knox
2016 Stocklands Social Robotics Scholarship, Le Kang
- 2015 Valeo €100,000 Innovation Challenge Finalists, UTS Unleashed!
- 2015 IBM PhD Fellowship, Mahya Knox
- 2014 First Class Honours, Jenny Lui
- 2013 First Class Honours, Michelle Youssef
- 2013 IJCAI Robot Video Prize, The Magic Lab Team
- 2013 IBM PhD Fellowship, Wei Wang
- 2012 Chancellor's Prize for the Best UTS PhD Dissertation, Benjamin Johnston
- 2012 IBM PhD Fellowship, Pramod Parajuli
- 2012 IBM PhD Fellowship, Jinjiu Li
- 2011 Chancellor's Prize for Best PhD Dissertation, Benjamin Johnston
2011 Endeavour PhD Fellowship, Rony Novianto
2011 Endeavour PhD Fellowship, Salia Raza
2011 IBM PhD Fellowship, Rony Novianto
2010 First Class Honours, James Horninsky
- 2010 Ray Kurzweil Prize for the most creative idea in AI, Benjamin Johnston
- 2010 IBM PhD Fellowship, Xun Wang
Current PhD Students
- Samuel Pfeiffer: Autonomy for Social Robots: Exploring mechanism to help robots make autonomous decisions as they carry out their missions independently. Co-supervised with Xun Wang Senior Roboticist CBA Innovation Lab. Expected Completion 2019.
- Meg Tonkin: Human-Robot Interaction: Exploring human-robot interaction and developing a new understanding of the importance of humans knowing what robots know about them as they interact. Co-supervised with Benjamin Johnston in the School of Software. Expected Completion 2019.
- Sidra Alam: Human-Robot Collaboration: Exploring intelligent and robust mechanism to support human robot collaboration. Expected Completion 2019.
- Mark.van Rijmenam: Organisations in times of disruption: Towards a data driven framework for sustained competitive advantage. Co-supervised with Jochen Schweitzer in the School of Business. Expected Completion 2018.
- Suman Ohjan: Ethics, Emotions and Social Robots: Exploring how to embed ethics into social robots decision making. Gained First Place in the Master of IT at The University of Sydney in 2015. Expected Completion 2018
- Pramod Parajulia: Modelling Risk. International Student Nepal. Funded on a 4-Year Endeavour Leadership Scholarship. on leave due to earthquakes in Nepal. Expected completion 2017/2018.
- Syed Ali Raza: Big Data Analytics. International Student Pakistan. Leading Software Development of the Karachi Koalas UTS-IBA Robot Soccer Team. Note: IBA was established by the Wharton Business School, University of Pennsylvania. Funded on APA and ARC Linkage Top-Up. Expected completion 2017.
- Srinivas Madhisetty: Privacy on Social Media. Expected completion 2017.
- Jonathan Vitale: Cognitive Robotics. International Student from Italy. Funded on an ARC Discovery UTS complimentary APA. Co-supervised with Benjamin Johnston in the School of Software. Expected completion 2017.
- Mahya Mirzaei Poueinag: Disruptive Innovation: Integrating Business Analytics and Design Thinking. CBA Top-Up. 99.8 ATAR B Aeronautical Space Engineering at University of Sydney, Funded on an APA with ARC Discovery and CBA Top-Up. Awards 2xIBM PhD Fellowships US$40K. Also joined Hatchery+ Program for student founders and entrepreneurs. Expected completion 2017.
- Sylvan Rudduck: Representing Ideas in Patents. B.Sc (Honours) UTS. Funded on APA. interrupted candidature due to a private matter. Co-supervised with Natalie Stoianoff in the School of Law. Expected completion 2017.
Graduated PhD Students
- Muhammad Anshar: Teaching Robots New Behaviours and Skills. International Student Indonesia. Funded on a 4-Year Endeavour Leadership Scholarship.
- Wei Wang: Social Network for Robots to Share Information and Skills. International Student China, IRS and IBM PhD Fellowship.
- Shaukat Abedi: Semi-Supervised and Unsupervised Extensions to Maximum-Margin Structured Prediction: ARC funded scholarship and project focused on machine learning techniques for recognizing human actions from a single photograph or robot image. Gained an exciting post-doc position in machine learning.
- Nima Ramezani Taghiabadi: Optimising Robot Motion funded on APA with CBA Top-Up. Previously working as a researcher a the German Research Institute in AI. Now working as a Senior Data Scientist at CBA.
- Rony Novianto: Attention-based Cognitive Architecture funded on an ARC Discovery Project. Received an Endeavour Fellowship to work at Lund University Sweden 2011, and an IBM PhD Fellowship 2012.
- Shan Chen: Privacy and Personal Information Management funded on an APA and ARC Discovery Project. Received an Endeavour Fellowship to work at Indiana University at Bloomington USA 2012.
- Edward Wei: Learning How to Make Good Decisions: co-supervised with Professor Jordan Louviere, School of Business UTS. Senior researcher at UTS.
- Xun Wang: An Innovative Framework for Qualitative and Quantitative Risk Management funded on an ARC Discovery Project. Received IBM PhD Fellowship 2010-2011. UTS Chancellor's Post-Doc. Social Roboticist CBA.
- Jebrin Sharawneh: Recommendation in Social Networks funded on an APA. Received a Best Paper Award at a top-tier conference in Information Systems. Currently, developing a Start-Up based on a recommender system he developed for his PhD.
- Benjamin Johnston: Commonsense Reasoning. First Class Honours & University Medal, University of Queensland. Won 2011 UTS Chancellor's Award for the Best PhD Dissertation. Nominated to ACM Best Dissertation. Won the Kurzweil Prize for Most Creative Idea in Artificial Intelligence 2011. UTS Chancellor's Post-Doc 2012 - 2015. Senior Lecturer, School of Software UTS, leading entrepreneurship.
- Muh Anshar: High Performance Robot Motion: Master of Science (International Student). Funded on an Endeavour Scholarship. Returned to undertake a PhD in 2012.
- Christopher Stanton: Grounding Robot Representations. First Class Honours, Dean's Medal University of Newcastle. Funded on a Faculty Scholarship. Current position at WSU.
- Numi Tran: Agent-Oriented System Design Methodology. (First Class Honours and University Medal University of Newcastle). Data Scientist at IBM.
- Suku SInna: A New Approach to Marketing: Classifying Customers using Conceptual Spaces. International Student. Currently, leading his own start-up.
- Wei Liu: Belief Revision funded on an IPRS. Currently, Assistant Professor at University of Western Australia.
Future PhD Students
We are accepting three new PhD Students in 2017. If you are excited about leading-edge research in disruptive innovation, and have a passion for AI, human-robot interaction, robots, and their social and legal implications get in touch using the form below. You might also like to explore HOW TO APPLY TO UTS